Thursday, March 6, 2014

February Wrap Up

Last week was pretty busy because I went to an annual state convention, but luckily this year, the convention was in Houston and at the GRB. I first went to the TSHA convention back in grad school and have gone to most of them with friends from grad school, like Jenny, Katie, and Rachel. Katie and Rachel couldn't come this year, but I'm glad I was able to catch up with Jenny for a little bit. I also hung out with some previous co workers and had some fun nights out with them. The keynote speaker, Brene Brown, was hilarious. I'll probably buy her book soon. If you haven't seen her TED talk, you should click here.
Gra(n)d School girls at TSHA 2006

Saturday, Ryan, Gary, and I joined Dan at the BBQ cook off at the Houston Rodeo. I have actually never been to the BBQ cookoff part before, so it was fun to check out. The cookoff was CROWDED. Ryan mentioned that he thought he saw someone selling chocolate fried pickles on our way in and sure enough, we spotted them on our way out. I told him it sounded disgusting but for something so odd, he had to get them. When he ordered them, the workers didn't even know what to do. They went from worker to worker asking what they needed to do to make chocolate fried pickles. That alone made ordering them worth it. Eventually, the put some fried pickles in a basket and added a container of chocolate to dip it in. Of course the two did not taste good together, but we tried. The BBQ was very good, music was fun, and the people watching is always entertaining, but I was so tired from the week. I work from home and all around Houston, so I'm not typically around a lot of people anymore. I think after the convention and then the cook off, I was missing some alone time. I crashed pretty quickly when we got home. We met up with my family the next day for lunch and then I crashed again.

When Ryan was at his convention in College Station a few weeks ago, I had noticed some dirt on a wall and when I tried to clean it up, I found termites. We had estimates and inspections the week after that, we had to reschedule our treatment since it rained, and then finally while I was at my convention, we had someone come out and treat our house for termites. Two guys had to crawl under our house, dig a trench around each one of our piers, put in whatever chemical they use, and then put the dirt back. He also drilled lots of holes into our wall where I found them to treat that area as well. NOT FUN, but oh so glad they are gone! The joys of owning a home...

No comments:

Post a Comment