Sunday, October 20, 2013

DIY Metallic Toe Cap Flats

I have to wear close toed shoes for work. I usually just slip on these old pair of flats I bought from Target in the kids section that are white with a floral pattern all over them. They were looking pretty gross because of all the black/dirt stains on it that I couldn't get off. The shoes do not have any rips or tears in them. They just looked gross. I should have thrown them away, but they are really comfortable and easy to slip on to run around after the kiddos I work with. After seeing a lot of images of metallic toe cap flats on pinterest, I decided I would try to paint or upgrade my flats. If it turned out horrible, I would just throw the shoes out like I should have, or if they turned out great then I get to keep my comfortable flats.

I forgot to take a before picture, which is actually a good thing. I had some white fabric paint already, so I painted on a thin coat of the white paint all over the shoe. The outside of the shoes were made of fabric, not leather so that is why I used fabric paint. I found a picture of what I wanted to do from a website called Cwonder.
Ryan was busy watching the A&M game, so I went to Michael's to get some paint and to just browse around. I bought Ocean Breeze, Satin Acrylic Paint by craftsmart for like 50 cents. I read the label and it said it was ideal for fabric so I went with this cheaper option instead of getting fabric paint. Craftsmart also had metallic paints for I think $1.29 or something, but I bought Glorious Gold by DecoArt because I liked the color more.I think the DecoArt paint was $2.00.
I painted the whole shoe with two coats of Ocean Breeze, allowing it to dry between coats. Last, I used masking tape to tape off the areas I wanted metallic and painted three coats of Glorious Gold. I took off the tape after the last cost and let the shoes dry overnight. If you are picky, you could measure where you tape off the areas to make sure they are even and straight across. I just taped off what I thought was good enough and went with it. I'm so happy with how they turned out! Ryan was impressed too because he wasn't too sure of what I was doing when I decided to paint my shoes. What do you think?

Update: So, these didn't last through one day of crawling around on the floor after kiddos. One part cracked and the sides were already black from rubbing against the floor. The white was showing through, so if you do this, then make sure to use some sort of sealer over it. Do not use modge podge because it is water based. I wonder if it would be better if I had spray painted them instead. Also, do not use a matte sealer because it will take away the shine of the metallic cap. I used a matte finish from our subway art project and did not like the outcome. The shine is gone, but the paint is staying on. I will need to get something different to seal it, but I think it works if you do. If you try it and find something that works, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment