Monday, June 10, 2013

Accidents Happen

It has been a busy week. Ryan's birthday was this week and we had a quiet celebration with just the two of us on his actual birthday. I worked that afternoon, we went to a Hell Yeah Houston event at D&T, and then out for Mexican food. For those that know me, know that I don't really like Tex-Mex. Ryan and I both enjoy going out to eat. If someone asks me where to go, my usual response is "I don't care, just not Mexican." I told Ryan he could pick wherever he wanted to go for dinner, including Mexican food, so when given the chance, that's what we had. Friday, we invited friends to meet us at D&T again to celebrate Ryan and Jason's birthday. Bernie's Burger Bus was outside for food, and I brought cupcakes to embarrass them while we all sang.



Saturday, Ryan and I were just relaxing at home when I heard my dad calling me on the phone (I had a specific ring tone for him so I know when he is calling me). I answered in Vietnamese, but then a guy named Brad introduced himself and told me that my dad was just in a car accident. We hurried out the door and were on our way out to Cypress with very little details. I'm thankful that Brad called me. I wish I could have thanked him in person, but he left after the ambulance arrived. He said it wasn't critical and that my dad seems to be ok. Phone calls about my family scare me so much even if it isn't critical. I called my siblings on the way. My brother was closer, so he was able to get there before we did. I was glad to see my dad walking around the scene talking to my brother when we arrived. Luckily, no one was badly hurt. The sheriff exchanged the paperwork needed and then we took my dad home. I was surprised after looking at the cars that everyone walked away ok. My dad has had several heart issues over the years so any phone call about him scares me so much. There was one year where we were in the hospital every other week for about two months and it was so hard to not hover over him or call him 24/7 to make sure he was ok. I still want to do that now. I don't really know what the right way to balance between letting him live his life, living my life, watching over him, and not treating him like a kid when I do. If I let a long time go by without checking up on him, I think what if something happens. I would feel so much guilt for not checking up on him sooner. Even when he gets sick or someone else has to help him now, I feel guilty for not doing things for him or helping him enough. I don't know what my family would do without my uncle, Long. He looks after my dad a lot. I hope he knows how much we appreciate him for that. Again, thankful that my dad is ok, shaken up, but ok, thankful for my uncle, another year with my husband, and thankful that my mom is watching over us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment