I wish I learned how to cook from my mother. Of course I think my mother's cooking was the best. She was one of those cooks who didn't use recipes and just knew what to put in. She would move so fast. "Just put this in and this in, taste it, add this, and that's it!" I had no idea what this or that was, let alone where I could find it or what it would look like at the Asian market. I need measurements, step by step instructions and pictures. I didn't cook much in college, but I think I've improved. A lot of Vietnamese recipes I have tried have failed. I've called my dad and my uncle while trying to buy ingredients at a regular grocery stores to get help. My uncle tends to just cook it that night and tells me to come over (he is the second best chef in the family). Both often tell me that I have to go to Vietnamese store for that and both do not know what the name for some ingredients would be in English.
I forgot to take step by step pictures to go with this recipe for Bo Luc Lac aka shaking beef. I sort of switch up the marinade for it from time to time because after making it several times, I wing it instead of measuring things. I learned what was needed for this andother Vietnamese recipes from two blogs: Wandering Chopsticks & The Ravenous Couple. Great references for Vietnamese recipes.
Here's my process for making Bo Luc Lac:
Serves: 2-3 people
Ingredients: white rice, 1-1.5 lbs of steak, fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, pepper, garlic, white vinegar, 1/2 white onion, sugar, tomato, spinach, salt, and a lemon
1) Wash rice and put it in the rice maker (no I don't know how to make rice on the stove- have always had a rice maker.)
2) Take 1/2 of a white onion and make slices as thinly as possible
3) Put sliced onions into a bowl, pour in white vinegar to cover the onions, sprinkle in about 1 to 2 tablespoons of sugar, stir, cover, and let it rest
4) Cut 1 to 1.5 lbs of steak into bite sized cubes (you can use any kind of steak- we tend to buy cheaper cuts for this in a family pack and then separate portions in freezer bags)
5) Put the cut up meat in a ziploc bag, add in 3 minced garlic, tsp sugar, tsp fresh pepper, 1 tablespoon each of fish sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. Close bag, shake it up so everything is mixed and coated, put meat in the fridge until you're ready to cook.
I wait until my rice is finished and then start putting it all together. I think it takes around 35-40 mins for my rice cooker so you want the meat to marinate for at least 30 mins.
6) Heat up a skillet on med-high heat and add the meat once it gets hot. You want to hear it searing and the meat to be all one layer to get good brown sears on it.
7) While the meat is cooking, wash and thinly slice a tomato.
8) Place a bed of spinach (or arugula or watercress) on a big plate. Place the sliced tomatoes on top of the spinach
9) "Shake" the beef to make sure the other sides get a good sear. The beef should almost done, you don't want it to be well done so keep an eye out. You can keep cooking or turn it off and let it rest while you finish plating.
10) You can drain the vinegar from the onions or just take a fork and take the onions out. Place them on top of the tomatoes which are on top of the spinach.
11) Pour the beef and juices on top of the onion, tomato, and spinach plate
12) Make a mixture of salt, pepper, and lemon juice for dipping
13) Serve the plate to share family style, get a bowl of rice for each person, and eat up! I like to dip my meat in the salt, pepper, and lemon mixture and eat it with rice.

trying it this week!
ReplyDeleteLet me know how it turns out!
Delete