Reunion #1: My old roommate (4th year at Baylor), Kathy, came down to visit, and we went to James & Carrie's wedding shower. I love hanging out with Kathy & Guid. She always knows how to make me laugh. The Laos New Year was the same weekend she came down, so after the wedding shower, we went to Wat Phouthansamakhy Lao- the Laos Buddhist Temple here in Houston for their festival. This was my first time going to a Buddhist temple and it was fun walking around with them. Eating and seeing all the food they had also made me miss her cooking! By the way, if you ever attend a Laos New Year celebration, be prepared to get wet. There were a lot of water guns, bubble guns, and shaving cream everywhere. A woman walked over to Kathy and me and just smeared shaving cream on our face. Guid was nice enough to let us use his shirt to wipe most of it off. The coolest and most interesting thing at the festival was watching sepaktakraw. Yeah, I don't know how to pronounce that either. Anyways, sepaktakraw is volleyball, but with your feet. They have a tournament with teams from all over competing. The kicks and flips they do in order to hit the ball were just awesome to watch. I had no idea that this is actually a popular sport in Asia. USA even has a team. Just youtube it.
Reunion #2: My other old roommate (2nd year at Baylor), Diana, also came down to visit. She, Gorman (her husband), and two adorable kids, live in California so I was really excited to see her since it has been a long time. Daniel (who use to live next door to Diana and me), Ann (his wife), and their son were also able to come down from Dallas. The last time I saw any of them was 3 years ago at Daniel & Ann's wedding so this reunion was long overdue! James, Diane, and Jimmy also came over and we had a pot luck dinner together. It was just like being back at Baylor in our small cheap apartment (that no longer exists). I loved hanging out with everyone and hope that it won't be another 3 years that go by before we all meet up again.
Reunion #3: I did my undergrad and grad school at Baylor and met some amazing friends within my major that I don't know how I would have survived it without them: Emily, Katie, Jenny, and Rachel. Rachel was a year ahead of me and Emily, Katie, and Jenny were a semester ahead of me. I missed them a lot when they all graduated, but again, thankful that we have stayed in touch. We all met up in Waco for a weekend and facetimed Rachel in since she couldn't join us this time. We usually see each at least once a year, especially at our State convention, but it isn't as fun as getting together for a weekend without sessions to go to. Katie lives in Abbott which is right outside of West. Her house is actually 3 miles from the plant that exploded. We couldn't wait to see her and get an update in person about how her and her family are doing. Luckily, her family is ok. After catching up, we ate, drank, did some shopping (love Spice and Junque in the Trunk in Waco), and just had a great time. I miss Baylor! It has been a long time since I was on campus and it felt so good to go back. Waco isn't the most interesting place to be, but campus will always feel a little like home to me.
I am very grateful for my friends. Every single one of them. I miss hanging out with all of them and wish we could see each other more often. Life gets busy, we have all changed, and a lot of new and future family additions are coming, but I hope that no matter what happens in the future, we can still find some time to keep in touch. Here's to many more mini reunions to come.
Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer
No comments:
Post a Comment